Saturday, November 1, 2008

Getting my Gear

When I test rode bikes, I didn't have all the proper gear. That was bad. I did have my helmet and motorcycle gauntlets. Besides that, I just wore jeans and a sweatshirt. My jacket and pants were on order but still a few days away.

I ended up getting textile jacket and pants. Leather offers better crash protection. However, I think it more important to make myself as visible as possible. I'm more worry about other drivers than me crashing solo. I got an Olympia Patton jacket in a HiRes Red. It's almost impossible for anyone not to see me. It's like the orange jackets the Transit workers wear. I could have gotten leather and wore one of those safety vest to be more visible. I've seen one person on the highway with one of these last week, but I know myself and I would have left that safety vest at home more often than not. To go with the jacket, I got black Olympia Ranger pants with can zip up to the jacket.

I found my helmet, EXO400, to be too tight in places even after many hours of wear. In fact I got such a bad headache after wearing it for an hour that it effected my riding. I found a $500 Aria helmet that fits better but didn't want to spend that much. I ended up adjusting the padding to reduce the pressure point in my temples. I haven't done a long ride with it yet, but I'm wearing it around the house for long periods of time to test how well my adjustments are working. It feels as good as the Aria Quantum 2 that I tired on, so I think I'm good now.

My glove is suppose to be a high end racing glove from Alpinestars. My friend sold it to me for $20 cause it was a bit big for his hands. I notice a tore leather around one of the fingers, but it didn't seem like a big deal. I fits well, but is a pain to put on.

I still needs good boots as I'm wearing work boots right now. It seems as good as some of the boots wore by the HD guys but doesn't offer as much protection as the street sport bike boots by SIDI and Alpinestars. This will be my next purchase. I'm wait for the big end of the season sale.

No comments: